To reduce the intake of fat harmful to our health we can apply different tricks at the time of cooking, such as substitute ingredients, choose healthy fats or modify the types of cooking. The excessive consumption of fat is one of the main obstacles between those who want to have a controlled and healthy weight. Although its complete elimination from the diet is not recommended, it is important to moderate its intake and, above all, to choose those that are known as “healthy”. The problem is that we ignore that they are present in many of the meals we eat every day and, besides, we do not measure the portions, nor do we consider the cooking method. That is why many times our diet fails and, although we practice physical exercise, we hardly get to have the desired measures. However, to begin to change it, it is enough to put into practice some tips that help us to cook in a healthier way.
Then we share the 6 best ones so that you start to take them into account when you prepare your dishes. Point!
1. Substitute Ingredients
Have you checked the quality of the ingredients with which you cook? Do you know what type of fats they contain and in what quantity? Well, if you still do not do it, it is likely that you will get a big surprise. Luckily, you have the opportunity to replace them with healthier options, as there are many ingredients that contain fewer calories and fats.
- Instead of using hydrogenated vegetable oils, opt for healthy options such as olive, avocado and sunflower oil.
- Avoid whole milk and derivatives, and opt for skim milk or vegetable milk.
2. Use Alternative Cooking Methods
We know that fried foods are easy to prepare and, in addition, give a particular flavor to foods that we find pleasant. The drawback is that it is a cooking method that involves the use of oils or shortening and, therefore, is an “extra” fat load.
- Instead of frying, choose to boil steam or bake as much food as possible.
- In the case of meats, and some vegetables, you can also choose to cook on the grill.
3. Remove the Fat from the Broths
Although we recommend preparing only vegetable- based broths, if you decide to do it with chicken or meat added, remove the layer of fat that usually forms on its surface.
- Wait for the broth to cool and, when you notice the solidified fat, remove it with a spoon or filter.
- Another simple trick is to prepare them from the previous day and freeze them. The next day, you can remove the fat easily before heating them.
4. Prepare Lighter Stir-Fry
By tradition or cultural issues, many people tend to prepare sofritos with high amounts of margarine or vegetable oils. However, we can prepare them more lightly, using only a minimal amount of olive oil.
- Let the skillet heat on a minimum heat and, when it is hot, add the garlic, onion and other condiments.
- Then, sprinkle with a small stream of olive oil and stir for 3 or 5 minutes.
5. Limit your Consumption of Meats
Opt for lean cuts with little fat.
“Including meats in the diet is not bad and, in fact, it is recommended to obtain daily protein requirements”.
The problem is that many eat them in exaggerated portions and, if that is not enough, they choose cuts full of harmful fats.
- Measure the portions of meat you consume per day and, above all, choose lean cuts.
- Although some fat remains hidden, they represent a healthier way to consume them.
- Avoid using preparation methods with added oils or fats.
- If you handle or bake, drain the fat a few minutes before serving.
- Prepare it with little salt or choose to season it with spices.
6. Avoid Commercial Dressings and Sauces
In the market we find a wide variety of dressings and sauces that promise to improve the taste of our favorite dishes. While it is true that they give a very nice touch, the truth is that many are made with oils and chemical additives that are not so healthy.
- Although you love its flavor, try to avoid these products to the maximum.
- Prepare your own homemade sauces, using 100% organic ingredients.
- There are dozens of dressing recipes that do not contain oils.
- Season your meats and stews with spices or lemon juice
Do you want to improve your diet and limit your fat intake? If so, or if your plan is to lose weight, keep all of these recommendations in mind and start cooking healthier.