Although the ketogenic diet is very effective in losing weight, it is very important to consult with a specialist about the suitability of this in our particular case. The ketogenic diet became popular for its incredible benefits to lose weight quickly. Although it exists more than 30 years ago, now it has become a trend due to the testimonies that prove its effectiveness. It is a type of food that reduces or completely eliminates the sources of carbohydrates to force the body to enter ketosis, a metabolic state that uses fat as the main source of energy.
“Thus, by increasing the concentration of ketone bodies, the weight decreases noticeably in less time than with a traditional diet”.
While initially indicated for the treatment of patients with epilepsy, today is one of the favorite plans of those seeking to improve their figure? However, due to the restrictions involved, it is not suitable for all people and should be done with great caution, only for a few days. What does it consist of? How to do it safely? Why do you have disadvantages? Below we collect the most relevant details to solve these questions.
What is the Ketogenic Diet and What are its Benefits?
The ketogenic diet is an eating plan that aims to increase the consumption of healthy proteins and fats by minimizing the intake of carbohydrate sources, in such a way that the body enters into ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic state in which it increases the concentration of ketone bodies that cause a rapid loss of weight. By depriving the body of carbohydrates, the body is forced to obtain energy from fat. Once the glycogen reserves (obtained from carbohydrates) are finished, the consumption of fatty acids rises and during this process the presence of the ketone bodies that give it its name increases.
Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
The main benefit of the ketogenic diet is weight loss. Unlike other designed Eating plans, this produces a faster and more noticeable thinning effect.
- The consumption of animal fat is restricted and the intake of healthy fat sources is increased; therefore, another of its great advantages is the reduction of high cholesterol and triglycerides.
- The release of ketone bodies in the body produces a decrease in appetite that is not usually seen with hypocaloric diets. Because of this they do not usually cause that feeling of anxiety that leads to overeating.
- Last, and not least, it should be noted that the weight loss that occurs is mostly fat. Thanks to its protein content, muscle mass remains intact.
How to Make the Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet is characterized by eliminating or reducing foods rich in carbohydrates and carbohydrates, increasing menus rich in protein and fatty acids.
Among the Allowed Foods we Find:
- Pork Meat.
- Chicken, turkey or lamb.
- Fish and seafood
- Vegetable oils.
- Nuts and seeds (minimum portions).
- Fruits and vegetables (only in some cases, in minimum portions).
Prohibited Foods Include:
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Flours and refined sugars.
- Sauces and dressings.
- Whole Dairy
- Cereals and legumes.
- Sweet fruits.
Disadvantages of Making the Ketogenic Diet
As with many other restrictive plans, the ketogenic diet causes controversy. While some consider it appropriate and effective, others warn about the side effects it can cause to health.
- The proportion of carbohydrates in this diet is well below the recommended levels in a healthy diet, reaching only 10% of the total calories recommended.
- This, in addition to the reduction of sources of vitamins and minerals, can produce nutritional deficiencies and decompensation.
- It also implies a reduction in fiber intake, which can cause digestive problems and constipation.
- The increase of ketone bodies can produce bad breath, so it is necessary to strengthen oral hygiene.
- It can overload the functions of the liver; it is not suitable for people with fatty liver diseases or heart problems.
- In specific cases it can affect concentration and memory.
- If the ketone bodies increase massively in the blood, it can cause ketoacidosis, a complication that can cause damage to vital organs.
To make the ketogenic diet it is important to evaluate the state of health first. Having a special condition can raise the risks of this eating plan. Although its results are notorious, it is not convenient to prolong this form of Eating for more than 30 days, as it can cause a nutritional deficit.
If the goal is to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight, the best alternative is a balanced diet that meets all the nutritional requirements of the body. Do not hesitate to consult with your specialist.
pros and cons of keto diet 2018, dangers of ketogenic diet, keto diet pros and cons mayo clinic, ketogenic diet criticism, pros and cons of keto diet reddit, pros and cons of keto diet 2019, ketogenic diet advantage and disadvantage, keto diet for beginners, supplementweek.com, supplementweek
#prosandconsofketodiet2018 #dangersofketogenicdiet #ketodietprosandconsmayoclinic #ketogenicdietcriticism #prosandconsofketodietreddit #prosandconsofketodiet2019 #ketogenicdietadvantageanddisadvantage #ketodietforbeginners #supplementweekcom #supplementweek